I walked outside tonight and looked up at the sky, surprised to see a slightly greenish glow on the horizon in place of the slightly reddish/brownish glow that usually lies above the city. Then the amazing happened. The greenish glow started growing, building up and streaking out across the sky until all of the horizon seemed to reach up to one point at the zenith. I pondered this for a few moments as I waited for my family to respond to my calling them outside on a night when it's cold enough to make ice on the cars, and stared bemusedly at the faint outline of a lion's face at the zenith, with the streaking points of light looking oddly like a mane.
Then the more amazing happened, just before my family came filing out the back door. The lights started dancing in the night sky, flickering and rippling like some kind of astronomical liquid bonfire burning the very air itself. Like a transparent veil of dacing light it blew gently in the sky, and the stars blazed brightly behind it. Occasionally a star or two would join in the dance, falling to earth it its insurmountable joy at being part of something so much bigger than itself.
Ladies and gentlemen, for the first time in my twenty years on this earth, I have seen the Aurora Bourealis, and I am in awe of the One who could have created it. For years upon years I have dreamed of seeing such a thing, and at long last it is outside at this very moment lighting up the darkness of night.
Yes indeed, God is faithful beyond our wildest measures. Even the night sky praises him by blazing brightly in all of the splendor He created for it.
Monday, November 08, 2004
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
Well, you beat me on descriptive quality. My weblog isn't nearly as lovely as yours on this particular spectacular phenomena.
I missed seeing them on Monday night, because I was traveling home from Oklahoma, but I did get to see them last night! It was really awesome. My second time seeing the Northern Lights, wot.
hunh. I didn't see it, 'course, I do live in Eugene, the land of the perpetual cloud.
I loved reading all of y'all's descriptions! I've never seen the Northren Lights, except on videos. One of my favorite scenes in Gods And Generals is the night in between days of a long battle. The Northren Lights were seen all the way down in Virginia.
Trust a B. to tie the Northern Lights in with a video. *sigh*
Wow! That's cool. I wish I could see the northern lights again! They are pretty.
Yeah, you guys are kinda wierd like that...
Ok, just kidding.
Elizabeth!! Update!! Your more interesting than you know! People care!
-Eric
Okay, okay! I'll make time to update this weekend. Things have been busy this last week or two...especially since they put me through full service training last week! Between that and the merger with the official launch of the "New Cingular", it's been crazy!
Post a Comment