Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Yummity goodness

So, my sister, Sarah, went with me on our last grocery shopping trip (the 5:45am-at-Walmart-having-just-dropped-Stephen-off-for-work shopping trip). There we were, strolling along at a semi-leisurely pace, dodging pallets of freight that dotted the isles as workers stocked the shelves, when we found ourselves on the baking isle. I love the baking isle. It's my favorite isle in the whole store. And during this particular shopping trip, I happened to be feeling all domestic-y and like I might actually have time that day to do something...housewifeish.

Well, at least modern housewifeish. After all, I didn't have that much free time that day.

So anyway, to make a short story long, we ended up getting some pectin, six pounds of strawberries, and some spiffy-looking new jam jars, and we made our first foray into the mysteriousness known as "making jam". I'd never done it before--at least not on my own. My aunt used to make freezer jam for the whole family every year, and we all love it, but we've been sorely lacking in the freezer jam department since she moved to California a few years ago. Sarah and I had helped in the whole fruit-to-deliciously-sugary-gooeyness process once or twice before, but that's about it.

Anywho, we've been happily enjoying the fruit (bad pun, ha ha) of our efforts all week. It's still slightly on the runny side for a good jam, but only very slightly. And it tastes wonderful.

There's nothing in the world so good as a toasted bagel in the morning with fresh strawberry jam on top. It is the embodiment of all things summery.

And, of course, it deserves its own post on my blog. So there.


Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmjam.

No comments: