Wednesday, June 12, 2013

The Right Mirror

Here I am, staring once again into the mirror, brow wrinkled and a frown of displeasure plastered onto my face.  I'm on my third outfit, trying desperately to fight off the rising panic that's stemming from the monologue going on inside my head.  Pulling no punches, holding back none of the venom that I know lies inside of me, I'm tearing myself to pieces over legs that are too thick, arms that are too flabby, hair that won't be controlled, and a waistline that just...never...stops.  Soon, it goes from "I can't wear this because it doesn't hang long enough to cover my entire torso," to "I am such a failure at all of life.  I can't even get my body in shape; how am I supposed to do anything that has any meaning whatsoever?  I'm not only fat, I'm ugly and gross and I have nothing to offer."  After nearly an hour of this slaughter taking place across the battlefield of my mind, I finally throw up my hands, heave an exasperated sigh, and declare aloud, "Well, this is as good as it's going to get."

Ouch.

So many times the way I look has been the spark that blows the bomb into a giant mushroom cloud of "everything that's wrong with me".  It's the foothold that I give the Enemy of my soul, which turns into a stronghold faster than I can blink.  Every day, I present myself for inspection, and every day I cringe and whimper as his words lash at the rawness of my heart and make my soul bleed.  In chains I come before him, and in even more chains I limp away.

Why?

Oh, I wish there were an answer to that question.  There is no reason under the sun why I should be taking in the words of my Enemy as truth.  There is no reason I should be giving him a fortress within the darkest places of my soul, and then willingly walking into his dungeons.  If Christ is TRUTH, and Christ is LIGHT, and Christ is FREEDOM, then what reason or right do I have to be living in my own little piece of Hell?

It's time to start looking into the right mirror.  It's time to start seeing my reflection in God's eyes.  It's time to take captive every thought for Christ, and to be utterly captivated by Him in return.  So today, when I look in the mirror, I will see eyes that mimic the ocean's many shades of blue.  I will see hands that reach out to comfort, and shoulders that help bear burdens other than my own.  I will see lips that sing praises to a God who knows just how many crazy hairs are on my head, and who delights in them all (even the annoying silver ones).  I will see a body that is a temporary tent, which can be shaped up with God's help.  I will see Christ in me, the hope of glory.

And then I will look in the right mirror again tomorrow.

---

Let Me show you your heart, love.  Let Me show you how I revel in every facet of your 'youness' that I have created.  Stop believing the lies of your Enemy.  Stop listening to the destroying words of the Devil.  Come to Me when you need a clear picture of who you really are instead of who you're perceiving yourself to be.  I AM in you.  You are in Me.  Would you say about Me the things which you have believed about yourself?

Trust Me, my love.  I've got this.  I've got you.  I see you.  Now, My love, see Me in you, and simply let go of everything else.  I love you.  So very, very much.  Too much to leave you in the place of shadows and dark thoughts.  Trust Me.  Look at Me, love, and truly see.

No comments: