Thursday, March 01, 2007

Life or Death?

I was dead once. I still remember what it was like, lying there in my cold, dark grave. I remember waking in this death and finding a world in shades of gray, where Money, Power, and Comfort were the gods to be worshipped. I remember walking through this world seeking that which would lead me to those gods by the quickest and easiest path. I learned many things in my death. I learned that mighty Education was the stairway to the gods, but only the twisted education prescribed by the gods themselves would do. I learned that love was a myth, and that intoxicating Lust was the reality. I learned that ideals were for those who desired to condemn themselves to a life of toil and suffering for naught--for those who refused to worship the gods and were thusly punished for their lack of piety.

Oh yes, I remember death.

But then...then there was this man. I heard his voice on the wind, calling my name. I couldn't see him, but I heard him. There was a note of longing in his voice, and a sorrow that made me want to break down and sob where I stood. There was desire in his voice, the likes of which Lust had never known. There was light in his voice, and it made the gray-toned world shudder as if it would recoil if only it could.

There was an invitation in his voice, and the invitation was meant for me.

The invitation came at a price though, and I was afriad to accept it. I knew that if I ran to this voice that my death would end. I had heard this from others before, and I felt in my bones that it was the truth. I was comfortable in my death; I didn't want to leave it behind. It was hard work, but I knew what was expected of me and exactly how to get where I wanted to go. I knew I could drown the voice out and go about my death as it had always been. But I didn't want to. So I looked up from where I stood and I screamed to the heavens, "Here I am! I hear you! I need you! Take me!"

"I WANT TO LIVE!"

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Everything began changing that day. I gained a double vision of sorts--my eyes as they were saw my world in gray; my eyes as they were becoming saw a world of brilliant color and light. My heart began beating. My heart began breaking. How did I live in death for so long when there was this whole other world waiting for me? How could I let others live in death while I walked in this life?

I did the only thing that I could do; I ran to my Lover's arms and cried until no more tears would come. I let him whisper into my very soul and give me strength beyond myself. Then I went out and sought to bring life to the dead. My passion was my Lover's passion. Nothing could stand in our way.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Now, as I look back, I find myself standing in my old grave and lifting my eyes toward heaven. What happened to that passion that flooded my veins? What have I done with that life I was given? How came I to be standing in this spot, with my former death clawing at me, when I should be at my Lover's side? When did I stop walking with him and just stand still, alone?

I know not. At this very moment, I care not. I just know that I need to be back at his side. I need to be in his arms. I need to drink deeply of his love and be renewed, and then I need to go out and renew others as well.

God help me. Jesus hold me. Holy Spirit, fill me anew.

I

WANT

TO

LIVE.

7 comments:

Chera said...

Well done. How long did it take you to write this?

Chera said...

Pardon me. I'm just passing through. For some odd reason my computer won't let me sign on to my blogger account unless I take a short cut through the comments. It freezes up otherwise. I guess this just ensures that I won't ignore my friends blogs. ;-)

Kittybeth said...

I worked on it for about 45 minutes one day and got it about halfway done, then left it for a couple of weeks. I finished it up in about half an hour just before posting it.

It was one of those things that I just started typing, and poof!, this is what came out!

Chera said...

You have a real talent for words, girly. People like you amaze me. It takes me forever to write anything! (Especially essays. Ick.) It would probably take me weeks to write what you did in a little over an hour.

Unknown said...

These words spoke to me. Thank you.

Kittybeth said...

There used to be a day when I could sit at the computer, put my fingers on the keys, and pound out a thousand words in an hour without hardly stopping. The words never came from me, they more came through me and onto the page.

Then, all of a sudden, that didn't happen anymore. I could sit and stare at the screen for hours--write a line or a few sentences, read back over them, delete them all and start again, and then finally close out with a growl and no progress.

This lasted for at least two years. Then, about five or six months ago, I started feeling the same need to write that I used to...but I'd still sit down and nothing would come out. So I waited.

About six weeks ago, I saw a very vivid picture in my head--it was a gray/green grassy landscape, with a half dug out grave occupying the center of the picture. There was a skeleton--still buried from the hips down--rising from the grave and grabbing at me with its bony hands. It was this picture, and the one sentence that went with it ("I was dead once..."), that lead to this writing.

Chera said...

Alright. I know it has only been 21 days, but I demand an update.