You know, it occurs to me (again) that it's really hard for people to find a reason to be mad at you if you're doing your utmost, and then some, to go the extra mile. It stands to reason that if I am doing everything within my power to make myself plesant, then others around me won't be able to find fault with me, and thus won't be able to pick a fight as easily, which will thus lead to a more peaceful house all the way around. Not only that, but plesantness seems to be contageous, and when everyone gets into the mood to put others before themselves, home becomes paradise.
At least, that's the hope. In reality, trying to "go the extra mile" and "turn the other cheek" 24/7 is hard. I'm still the same person that I always was, except for the fact that I genuinely want to be a better person overall. But I still get tired, and grouchy, and, for the time being, I still find it very hard not to react when others are pushing my buttons. I've only been really working on this for a couple of days, and so far so good, but the beginning is always the easy part.
But seriously, there's so much value in this simple principle. You're probably saying to yourself, "Well, duh. You're just now realizing this?" Yes and no. I've heard it before. I've said it before to others. But how much do any of us really stop and put in every ounce of strength, patience, love, and caring that we have (and borrow a whole heck of a lot from God too) into actually living like this? I know I sure haven't.
We shall see how this goes. I'll try to keep y'all updated.
God bless!
Friday, November 11, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
It's difficult to get past our human nature to bite back, to be negetive. Believe me, I'm living with a guy that, on the most part, we get along, but there are moments where I want to scream... Luckily we have good communication... Oh, could you email me Stephen's email addy? Dad wanted to send him something but I lost it. Thanks.
Post a Comment