Sunday, August 24, 2008

The Secret Thoughts of the Retail Worker...

~When you say "Leave it--that's what they get paid for":

Yes, we do get paid to keep our store clean, and our customers happy. However, this does not mean that we'll come around with a smile to pick up after the mess that you leave in your wake as you travel through our store. I work in a clothing store, and I expect you to treat our clothing as if it were your own. No, strike that, to treat it as if it were something you actually cared about keeping neat, instead of like something that'd you'd toss onto your floor or over whatever pile of garbage you've got in your room. We work our rear-ends off for minimum wage, and when you leave the fitting room a mess--clothes inside out and on the floor, hangers tossed about haphazardly, the used tissue from your pocket laying on the seat--we get angry. It's not nice. Just because you're paying for the clothes and that money eventually translates into our paychecks does not give you the right to treat us less than human or like servants.

~When you come in with a difficult problem and think the best way to solve it is to yell, whine, or otherwise abuse the poor clerk working with you:

You know what, just get out of my store. I don't care how big of a fit you throw, how much money you've spent with us in the past, how many managers over my head you want to badger, I will stand firm if I am in the right and you are in the wrong. Call me as many names as you want, you're not getting it if it isn't something that can be given. However, if you come in nicely and ask if there's anything that can be done, I will bend over backwards trying to help you. If there really is no solution, I'll tell you that up front. If there might possibly be some solution somewhere, I will spend hours working on it to try and help you. Only be nice--that's all you have to do.


There's more....there's so much more. But I don't have the energy to finish this post right now. Perhaps later. Or perhaps I'll get over my frustrations and just let this trail off into oblivion. *Shrug* Who knows.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

you alive?

Kittybeth said...

Meh. More or less. Things have been crazy around here for most of the last month. And I've done a lot of my posting on my DA account. kitttiecatt dot deviantart dot com. There's at least one more recent update there.

Sorry I've been so quiet. There really just isn't a lot to say about things right now. Or rather, there's a lot to say, but I'd rather not say it. *shrug*

*sigh*